The Barleti Institute for Research and Development unveiled the conclusive outcomes of “SMART TOUR – Intelligent Tourism on Cultural Routes” project, which is part of the IPA II Cross-Border Cooperation Program “Greece – Albania”. They showcased their findings during the International Scientific Conference on the 26th and 27th of July 2023, hosted at the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Ioannina, under the guidance of Professor Stavros D. Nikolopoulos.
The research team and experts from the Barleti Institute for Research and Development, including PhD Joan Ikonomi, PhD(c) Sokol Shurdhi, and PhD Kejda Nuhu, shared the project’s final results with an engaged audience comprising participants from the academic community, students, industry experts, and stakeholders.
The SMART TOUR platform combines Immersive Reality, (AR/VR) open templates and access, to create basic infrastructure for 3D content viewing.
The primary project packages were as follows:
1) “UNESCO Roots Experiential Identity” focusing on the unique cultural and natural heritage of the cross-border areas,
2) “Enhanced travel experience through routes of archaeological interest” focusing on ancient cities and theaters, and
3) “Museums in the time of experience” with a focus on the Ioannina Typography Museum and the Museums of Gjirokastra / Berat.
Partners in the project are:
• LP (Head) University of Ioannina – Department of Computer and Information Engineering, Greece.
• PP2 (Partner) National Technology and Research Infrastructure Network (EDYTE A. Hey. – GRNET) authority of the Ministry of Digital Governance, Greece.
• PP3 (Partner) RASH – Albanian Academic Network, Independent Body of the Union of Albanian State Universities, Albania.
• PP4 (Partner), Barleti Institute for Research and Development, NGO, Albania.